Sunday, November 20, 2011

Rule 2 : Don't Worry

"Don't Worry, Be Happy".

This has been the phrase I often hear from older people who have lived and experienced life for so many years. So, why do they say we don't need to worry? What exactly is to "worry"?

WORRY, according to Dictionary.com is to "torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts".   This is when you think of things that are yet to happen which may never happen at all.  Og sa binisaya pa, gauna imong huna-huna.  (In Visayan, you are thinking ahead.)..  hehehe...

http://www.theoutsourcingcompany.com/blog/entrepreneurship/how-to-overcome-worry-and-anxiety/


Now I have to admit.  I am guilty of this.  So Guilty, with a capital G, hehehe... I am such a worrier that sometimes I get headaches just by worrying.  I can worry about anything, actually.  I don't know why.  As much as I want to avoid worrying, I can't seemed to help it.  It feels like it's an involuntary muscle, just doing its things without my permission. hehe...

I worry over things that might happen.  I create scenarios in my head.  Get stressed with the scenarios.  And when the actual thing comes, the scenarios I create in my head did not happen.  As an example, whenever I need to confront someone over something, before I go to her or him, my mind would play dialogues like I am already making a conversation with the concerned person.  And most likely, I create negative conversations.  Then I get stressed out.  But, when the time comes that I get to talk to him and say my first line, his answer would not be the same as what I imagined it would be.  So, the conversation, the dialogues, would be different from what I created in my mind. 

I worry about what other people would think with what I do, what I wear, what I say.   Sheesh.  Like I owe them something in my life to let me worry about what they think.  It's really such a ridiculous thing to do.  Yet, I am doing it. 

I don't know why I am such a worrier.  Probably I got it from my father. He is such a worrier too.  I grew up with him always worrying about things. 

When I got married, the worrying turned into jealousy.  Yikes!  Another bad thing.  Tsk tsk tsk.   But I have to say, Pat has been a blessing to me.  He is the very opposite of me.  He never worries about situations.  He always assesses them first before making a decision.   From time to time, he helps me overcome my worrying mind.   Whenever I have confusing thoughts, I ask his advice.  He always reminds me not to think of things that are yet to come for most likely, what I am thinking won't happen.  He's say to just let things come and see what happens.  Sometimes, we make option A, option B. hehehe...   

For some time now, I have been doing my best to avoid worrying.  There are times when I start to worry, I remind myself to stop it.  I pray and shake my head (literally!) to get rid of the worry thoughts. 

It really do feels good not to worry.  You'd feel light.  Relaxed. No heavy heart.  No headaches. 

"Worrying is like a rocking chair.  It gives you something to do but gets you nowhere."  I forgot who said this but this is so true.   You can spend all day worrying.  But that's all you'll ever be doing.  You won't accomplish anything by doing it.  All you'll get is headache. Which could eventually lead to illness as your immune system would be down due to stress.

And when you worry, it means you don't trust God.  We live in a world where we believe there is someone much greater than us.  Much bigger than our problems and worries.  As I am such a worrier, I am guilty of this.  Sometimes I forget to give to God my worries and let him worry about them, so I can do other things that are productive.  Like, finally start my dream business which I have been postponing for many years now due to worrying.  :-) 

So, as a second rule, Don't Worry.  Be happy.   :-)


- - - - - -
For this blogpost series, I am supposed to tag 5 people so they may also write something about the topic. And learn from them also.   God bless everyone.

Anna Oposa |  ANNAlysis
Eileen Campos |  Possibly Pinay
Aileen Apolo-de Jesus | An Apple A Day
Berniemack Arellano  | Habagat Central 
Arlene Collado |  Joys in Life 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails