Monday, January 30, 2012

Give a Lot

They say it is better to Give than to Receive.  This is so very true.  Subconsciously, one is receiving when he is giving.   And one secret to receiving more blessings is to Give a Lot.

I used to hoard things at home when I was young - in grade school (my mother said so, but I cannot anymore remember, hehehe) and high school. Even with my old stuff, I refuse to give them away.  I don't know why but I just like to hold on to them.  But as I matured, I've learned to give some and then more.

Probably, my mother's generosity eventually has rubbed on me.  Growing up I watch my mother selflessly giving to those who has less than us.  Even though my father's salary was just enough for our basic needs, she still find ways to give.

And when I was already working and have money of my own, I have experienced many times how blessings return a hundredfold when you start to give, and a lot.

I could remember way back in high school and through college during Christmas time, my sisters and I would pack candies, biscuits and 20-peso bills in small cellophane for my cousins in Zamboanga del Norte which my grandmother and aunt would bring home with them.  And when I already started working, we included clothes and other stuffs.  My sister would bake a cake for them.

With the devastation caused by Typhoon Sendong, I became a witness to the generosity of people who offered their time, effort and money in helping the victims of the flood.  And I have two very good examples of generosity at a time of need.

The owners of Jacko's Carwash and Kan-anan.   The family lived in Luinab and their house was not affected by the typhoon.  But, their Carwash, located at National Highway, Barangay Hinaplanon,  was badly hit by the flood.  And it was just newly renovated.  The tutorial center of their daughter was just newly built, about 2 months.   Fortunately, the kitchen area of the Kan-anan was spared.  It was still intact.  To which the owners said that it is a sign that they will still continue their business.  :-)

 Water level outside Jacko's the morning after the typhoon.
 
 Front of Jacko's Kan-anan. The kitchen is the orange room.
 
 Tutorial Center, totally damaged including all the equipment/appliances inside
(photos grabbed from Facebook Page of Lovette Jam Jacosalem)


What's amazing for me is the way the owners still thought of helping the other victims in spite of the fact that they too are victims.  On December 18, they cooked food good for 100 persons and Pat and I and other IBS members helped in delivering it to San Lorenzo Parish Evacuation Center.  And as if not yet satisfied, they made three more sets of meals for the other evacuation centers which was delivered on separate dates - 2 sets of 100 packs and 1 set of 300 packs.   This is what I only know of personally, but I heard, they gave more than just these packed meals.   Wow, really amazing.  

Lolly, My Mother.   I have mentioned earlier how I grew up with my mother's generosity.  I thought after what happened with them in Bayug after the typhoon, I'd see a different mother.   But was I surprised.

My mother, collecting the stuff they could still use.

About five days after the typhoon, after all the mud inside the house have been cleaned and my parents and sisters have somehow settled, my mother decided to go to Bayug riverside to check on her friends if they are alright.  And to know how she can help them.  My mother, father and sister argued over this issue.  My father and sister would not want her to go because it might give her more stress as she has not yet fully rested from all the cleaning and sorting of flooded stuffs in the house.   But she insisted.   So, for two days she went out helping her friends.  When I learned of this, I told her not to go out anymore because she needs to rest.   But she was not convinced so I suggested to her that if she really wants to help, she can join our group.  I thought that I could watch her if she's with us.  But she declined. She said she doesn't know the people we are helping.  She prefers to help her friends in Bayug. 

I thought the situation over.  And on December 24 I told her that if she really wants to help her friends, I'll help her.  We decided that since it's going to be Christmas, she can cook some food on the 25th and they shall give it to her friends in Bayug riverside before lunchtime.   At least, even with the calamity, they'll have something special on Christmas Day.  My sister shared the expenses with me.  My mother was so happy.  Aside from this, she also would patiently fall in line in their area for the relief goods given by different groups.  If they already have the items in the house, she'd give these items to her friends who also needs them.    :-)

It is good to give when one has so much.  But it is heartwarming and joyful to give when you only have enough or less yet you managed to give.    The joy of giving is seeing the happy face of the recipient.  And knowing that in some way or another you've helped ease something in his life.  

To Give a Lot is when we give to people who cannot in any way repay us.   This, for me, is the true essence of giving.  So, Give a Lot today and experience happiness!   :-)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails